- Stevens Institute of Technology
- Pay to Play
- Content Research Area
- Quality of Life Issues
- OPRA (Open Public Records Act)
- Bribes, Payoffs, and Politics
- Letters to the Editor
- Voter Information
- OPMA (Open Public Meetings Act)
- FREE SPEECH and INTERNET ISSUES
- Eminent Domain
- Governor Corzine
- Lawsuits and Legal Actions
- Hoboken News
- Health Issues
- Employment Opportunities
- Regionalize and Shared Services
- Investigations (Restricted Access)
- Public Official Report Card
- Political Commentary
- Payments In Lieu of Taxes
- Consumer Issues
- Affordable Housing
- 2006 N.J. U.S. Senate Race
- U.S. Senator Robert Menendez
- Homeland Security
- NJ NY Port Authority
- R.I.C.O. Act
- Editorials - New Jersey Newspapers
- POG - People for OPen Government
- Investigative Agencies
- Hoboken City Council Video
- Presidential Election 2008
- Investigative Report
- Area Event Calendar
- Presedential electiom 2008
- New Jersey League of Municipalities
- NJ State Court System
- National Politics
- Social Interaction
- Shrink for Men
- Governor Chris Christie
- Tenant Rights
- NJ League of Municipalities
- NYC GROUND ZERO
- Political Figures
- Health Care
- Hoboken Lawsuits
- Featured News
- IRS TAX RELIEF
- Federal Budget
- Healthcare Fraud
- New Jersey For Profit Hospitals
- Hudson County Emergency Medical Services
Menendez hires top lawyer in rent case Spokesman still says senator 'is not under investigation'
Menendez hires top lawyer in rent case
Spokesman still says senator 'is not under investigation'
November 03, 2006 Star-Ledger Staff
U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez (D- N.J.) has repeatedly denied he is being investigated by federal prosecutors, but yesterday his campaign staff confirmed that a prominent criminal defense lawyer is representing him in an inquiry into a rental property he once owned.
Marc Elias is a Washington, D.C., attorney who specializes in criminal defense and election law and has been representing Menen dez's campaign in recent years. After federal investigators subpoeaned records in September re garding a rental deal Menendez had with a nonprofit agency he helped get federal funds, Elias noti fied the U.S. Attorney's Office he was representing the senator in the matter.
Elias also represented former U.S. Sen. Robert Torricelli (D-N.J.) when Torricelli faced an ethics investigation that led him to drop out of his re-election campaign in 2002, and he was general counsel to the 2004 presidential campaign of U.S. Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.).
Last week Menendez's campaign spokesman Matt Miller acknowledged that another prominent defense attorney, Joseph Hayden, had contacted the U.S. Attor ney's Office on behalf of the campaign to "find out what was going on." In response to reporters' questions about that contact, Me nendez said simply, "I have not re tained Joe Hayden."
Menendez and his opponent in Tuesday's election for U.S. Senate, Republican Tom Kean Jr., have been sparring for weeks over whether Menendez is under criminal investigation, and yesterday's revelation did not end the dispute. Jill Hazelbaker, a spokeswoman for the Kean campaign, said it is more evidence Menendez is "another Torricelli."
"And it's proof positive that, despite repeated denials, Menendez has lied to the people about the fact that he is under criminal investigation," Hazelbaker said.
Miller said the use of a criminal defense attorney does not mean Menendez is under investigation. He said Elias "contacted the U.S. Attorney's Office to find out if they needed any information at all from Bob Menendez. They said they did not, which is why we have always said the senator is not under investigation. He, in fact, is not."
Elias declined to comment yesterday.
New comments are currently disabled.
Email to Friend
Fill in the form below to send this article to a friend:
- HAS PREDATORY HEALTH CARE LENDING COME TO HOBOKEN?
- The Emotionally Abusive Personality: Is She a Borderline or a Narcissist?
- Withholding Sex as a Form of Punishment
- Don't Marry Essay. Why Marriage Has Become a Raw Deal for Men
- NJ Business Facts
- What the Parking/Transportation industry is saying about Hoboken's Automated Garage
- You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig
- Hoboken Board of Education
Recent Employment Opportunities
- Technology Consultant - City of Hoboken
- Finance Director City of Hoboken
- ELECTRICAL INSPECTOR
- Civil Service Commission Seeks Entry-Level Firefighter Applicants Applications for the entry-level Firefighter Test will be accepted for 70 municipalities and other local jurisdictions
- Senior Accountant: Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ
- City of Hoboken - Fire Department Audit
- Hoboken: ZONING OFFICER